Fewer letters, far more parcelsPOST sorting centre to be modernised and expanded

Marlène Clement
Julie Thilges
adapted for RTL Today
Rising parcel volumes and changing postal habits are driving a major overhaul of POST Luxembourg's national sorting centre in Bettembourg.
Symbolic start of construction.
© POST Luxembourg / Eric Devillet

POST Luxembourg is investing more than €80 million in its Bettembourg sorting centre as falling letter volumes and the continued growth of online shopping reshape its business.

Work officially began on Tuesday with a symbolic groundbreaking ceremony at the Wolser business park in Bettembourg.

Thousands of parcels arrive at POST Luxembourg's national sorting centre every day, where they are processed using a combination of automated systems and manual handling. The site will now be extensively modernised and expanded to meet growing demand.

One of the main additions will be a new parcel-sorting machine capable of processing up to 13,000 parcels per hour. Around €20 million is being invested in the equipment, which is expected to enter service by the end of 2027, in time for the busy Christmas period.

Mario Treinen, head of POST Courrier, said the new system was designed to help the company keep pace with the growth of e-commerce over the next 15 years.

Space is another challenge. A new logistics hall of around 20,000 square metres will therefore be added at a cost of some €60 million. Once the wider project is completed in 2028, the Bettembourg site will cover nearly 35,000 square metres – more than twice its current size, according to a press release by POST.

They stated further that the expanded centre will bring together mail and parcel sorting, transport, warehousing, cross-docking, and other logistics services. Around 400 employees from POST Luxembourg and INFLOW are ultimately expected to work at the site, according to the press release.

Business to continue during construction

Mail and parcel operations will continue throughout the construction period, with the new infrastructure entering service progressively from 2027 and becoming fully operational in 2028.

Treinen acknowledged that the transformation would mean significant changes for staff. Employees affected by the introduction of new machinery and technologies will receive training and support, while new roles and skills are also expected to emerge, he said.

Economy Minister Lex Delles said adapting to the growth of online retail was not simply important but necessary. He added that POST was making a major investment to remain competitive in a highly contested market while keeping logistics activities and jobs in Luxembourg.

The change in postal habits is already clear. POST stated in its press release that it handled nearly 10 million parcels in 2025, while letter volumes have fallen sharply. Around 90 million letters were processed last year, compared with approximately 160 million in 2012. According to POST, overall mail volumes have dropped by 45% since 2010.

The extension will also include photovoltaic panels and additional charging points for electric vehicles, while the project is being designed to meet recognised sustainable construction standards, according to the press release.

POST Luxembourg CEO Claude Strasser described the expansion as a strategic investment for both the company and the country, saying it would help POST respond to growing parcel volumes while "preserving essential logistics expertise in Luxembourg".

Watch the report in Luxembourgish

Back to Top
CIM LOGO